UVideo is a mobile video product for India that aims to bring the best experience of video creating & watching to indian people. I involved myself as the lead designer, building this product from 0 to 1 and iterating the following design.
Design the best experience of a short-video community product for indian where creating, watching videos and social-related features are accessible.
The solid and deep understanding of background and culture is vital for launching a new product in a new market.
By local research, firsthand experience and interviews of widely-ranged people in India, we learned three aspects about India:
1. Technology & Network Environment: There have been over four million users of smart phone in India till now, whose amount ranks the second largest in the world. The occupancy of Andriod has reached about 40%, the first place of OS market share. Most popular brands of mobile phone are Samsung and Xiaomi. Thanks to the well-developed and popularized 4G network, its expense is cheap. Thus the cost of cellular data isn't the greatest concern. And quality of 4G network in India is better than that of Wi-Fi, which means transferring data via Wi-Fi may be more unstable in India. This research overturns our preconceived idea.
2. Indian Culture: The north India is different from the south India by linguistically. Except for two official languages which are Hindi and English, there are 6 sorts of local minority languages, such as Tamil, Telugu, Punjab…
3. User Habits:
As we know, social community is made up of two elements - contents & people. And the content-related elements can be organized mainly from two aspects - content production & content consumption.
Thus I selected those potential requirements and sorted them by three aspects of consumption, production & people. And vote to decide their priority.
I have experienced and compared many video products. And I also had led the experience design of video production in my past work. So after the comparison & first-hand experience from previous work, I concluded that there are mainly two types of production userflow - 2-Step Type and 3-Step Type. They are Shoot-Post Type and Shoot-Edit-Post Type.
In this time, I designed both two types of experience for Kwai Go India to meet different requirements from different phases.
2-Step Type is generally used in the early version of a product. Because there are only 2 steps, users can easily understand this design and quickly go through all the process to finish posting. However, its drawback is also abvious. Especially in the second step, video editing module and post-info editing module are put together, which almost occupy the whole screen. That means its extensibility would be very limited and it will be difficult to iterate and add more functions based on it.
In this way, we gradually changed 2 steps into 3 steps, the more powerful and complete type for a product:
Based on the fact that Indian people love watching and sharing videos or pictures containing quotes and wishes, we decided to provide a simple way for users to produce this type of contents, including single picture, multiple pictures and videos with texts / stickers, to establish the production & consumption ecosystem.
1. I changed the slideshow in the aspect ratio of 3 : 4 into the ratio of 9 : 16 to help users easily make contents which are immersive to watch.
2. I conbined the process of making slideshow into the main process of making videos to reduce users' cognitive burden. That means whether you make slideshow or video, the workflow you experience is almost the same. The only differences between them are the functions living on the left bottom of the screen - Besides of adding music, setting sounds, texting, adding stickers and filters, people can edit each picture frame further, set the transition effects and duration of each slide when they edit the slideshow.
Single Column Feed?
1. Effective to consume full contents & interact with people directly on feed, no need to enter the child layer to see the details of each item.
2. Simple hierarchy ( Like instagram, both full content of each item and feed items lie on the same hierarchy, without the child hierarchy ) and easy to use.
1. Mid effeciency for content browsing.
2. Cannot contain too much information in each item for sake of better effeciency, so mostly used to present small picture, picture collage, short pure texts or short texts with pictures.
3. Not immersive enough while watching. Easy to be distracted by other contents and actions on this feed.
4. Not friendly for full-screen-size items.
Double Column Feed?
1. High-effeciency to browse contents.
2. High-density information.
3. Visually clean and tidy.
1. Low-effeciency for consumption and social interaction, compared with sigle column feed. Users have to enter the child hierarchy to see the details and actions of each content item.
2. Little brief information provided. Merely content with high-quality cover or title may attract people to tap, which is not friendly for new users, espacily new producer of the community. And it requires more editors' work or an advanced recomendation algorithm to pick out the proper contents with good covers or titles.
Immersive Full-Screen Feed?
1. Full-screen and immersive experience.
2. High-efficiency consumption and interaction. Watch the full content on feed directly.
3. Visually catch the eyes easiler.
4. A consumer-friendly design.
5. Less cluttered UI.
1. Low-effeciency to browse contents.
2. Thanks to the full-screen display, this type of feed asks for extraordinarily high-quality contents selected by editors. Otherwise, users will be not patient to watch boring videos one by one just to wait for the next good one.
3. Limited introduction of the content. Users may be not able to distinguish the quality of content until they finish watching the video.
4. Relatively higher costs of learning gesture to switch and interact with the videos for new users.
Double Column & Single Column
In order to satisfy Indian users's needs for contents, we prepare to provide various contents for users, such as general short videos, movies, slideshow, and music videos... For the sake of adaptation of different types of contents, I made different sorts of feed to present varieties of videos.
After the research and comparative analysis, I found that Indian people have been familiar with the type of double column feed for short-video products. So in the first phase, I choose the double column feed to adapte the general short videos and to improve the browsing effeciency for the new users.
Not only to make decision of feed type, at the same time, I designed different styles of double-column feed for user testing to validate which one the best accepted is.
Due to the work adjustment, I won't have the chance to continue iterating this project. To be honest, I am still carious about the influence of those shipped design for feed and I still want to know the data feedback of every past design efforts. And I know there is still so much work, long term work, left to do, for example, the content exploration, the continuous design iterations to adapte those changing and dynamic contents and further understanding of indian culture.
On the other hand, I have learned a lot from this project. I experienced a complete process of a product development for people from another country and culture. And I have the chance to lead the design of overall experience (from research, product requirenments analyse, interaction design, visual design and even data validation) to accumulate tons of experience about community product design.
Last but not the least, thanks for my design partner Loko Wang & Joe Zhao. They really brought lots of inspiration and made best efforts for this project.